Monday, March 10, 2008

raw-chael rachael: the sequel

It's been a long week.

Seven days ago I made a commitment to do one week of raw food as a response to the excerpt from What The World Eats by Hungry Planet. Raw food, I reasoned, was less impactful on the environment in terms of processing, packaging, and transport. Furthermore, it saved all the carbon it would take to use my stove, oven, or microwave. Granted, I did employ my refrigerator. But that would have been on and in use any way! Finally, eating raw, I felt, helped me to practice solidarity with those not able to buy much more than fruits, veggies, and other raw items. (And as a bonus it served as an automatic diet, which I needed, and would save the resources I would have to expend to work off extra pounds.)

I promised a Hungry Planet style report, so here you go.


The Albers-Farlow Household of Sydney, Australia


Grains & Other Starchy Foods:
None, by choice.

Dairy:
None, by choice.

Meat, Fish & Eggs:
None, by choice.

Fruits, Vegetables & Nuts:
1 cabbage, 1 head of cauliflower, 2 heads of living lettuce, 4 red bell peppers, 2 onions, 1 head of celery, 1 bunch of basil, 1 bunch of coriander, 8 carrots, 1 cucumber, 1 zucchini, 6 chilis, 8 scallions, 6 radishes, 2 potatoes, 12 tomatoes, 6 avocadoes, 2 cups alfalfa sprouts, 4 apples, 6 kiwi, 12 nectarines, 8 apricots, 6 lemons, 8 bananas, 8 oranges, 1 pineapple, 1 cup walnuts, 1 cup sunflower seeds, 1 cup sesame seeds, 1 cup assorted nuts

Condiments:
1 cup olive oil, 1/2 cup flax oil, 5 garlic cloves, 1 Tbsp sea salt, 2 Tbsp pure maple syrup, 2 tsp vanilla extract, 1 tsp dried onion, 1 tsp dried chili, 1 tsp dried garlic, 1 tsp cumin

Beverages:
Filtered water

Food Expenditure for One Week: $110 Australian Dollars (Roughly $102 American Dollars)

This $110 probably represents $70 for me and $40 for Scott, my handsome Aussie roomie/love interest. He did not go 100% raw for the week. However, I did not eat away out at all (I can make your garden variety take out salad myself any day.)

My menu included:


Veggie "Casserole"


Romaine Burritos with Guacamole and Lemon-Garlic Vinaigrette


Salsa Salad


Banana Ice Cream


It certainly was an experience. I felt very healthy, energetic and light. Sometimes, however, that lightness ended up being the problem. It was hard to feel full and I found myself nearly prying myself away from the crackers I have in the cupboard. Don't worry, I didn't relent. (Unless you count cutting my 7 days about 8 hours short to have lunch at a fabulous little veggie restaurant in the Blue Mountains. In that case, guilty as charged.)

I know now that I won't be going all raw anytime soon, though I have realized I've been on carb overkill. So I resolve to fill up on less bread and more greens, keep my processed foods to a minimum, and resolve my salad prejudice problem. (Salads bore me.) Doing this will be better for my body and the environment, especially when I splurge on organic, which unfortunately is hard to afford on a budget despite it's importance. Slowly but surely I hope to wean myself off of any food coming out of a box or a bag. That's a little creepy anyway.

Yes, my raw week was definitely worth it. If only for three little words. Banana Ice Cream. Banana, vanilla, cinnamon. (Toss on a little maple syrup and you'll swear it's caramel.) Guiltless perfection. Email me for the recipe!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

potatoes are usually considered a starchy food. Anyway, hugs and other good stuff from me to you!

Leah said...

You look so cute in your household food picture--I think it's the crossed arms & devilish little half-grin: "I DARE you to eat raw. Come on, TRY me!"

Now go shut your refrigerator door before the polar ice caps melt.

<3